Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Veg'd Out Potato Pancakes

These are my new go-to meal.  Easy and quick to make.  The boys love them because they almost taste like french fries.  I like them because they're full of protein and tons of veggies.

This recipe is hard to post because I mostly just wing it.  I add tons more veggies than the original recipe calls for.  It's more of a consistency issue than a set recipe. No matter how much potato, zucchini, carrot or whatever you put in there, you need to balance it with the right amount of egg & flour.




Here's the bowl of the shredded veggies.  About 2 cups potatoes, 1 cup zucchini, 1 cup carrot and about 1/4 onion grated.


This is the secret.  Mush out the water from the vegetables.  Especially the zucchini.  If you don't they won't be as "eggy" as I like them.  More on that later..


Leftover water.  


Oh yeah,  I added some spinach.  Not too much because a certain 2 year old I know deems things inedible depending on how much "leaves" there are in a particular food item.


4 farm fresh eggs.  I ended up throwing in 1-2 more to balance with the extra veggies I added.  I like mine eggy, like I said, more on that later.




Seasonings: thyme, sage, ground bay leaves with a couple of tablespoons of whole wheat flour.  You can add more later if you need it.



This shows you the proportion of solid matter to liquid.  Once you do a test fry you can see if you need to add more flour to make it stick together better.

 
Grab a tablespoon full of the mixture.  See how it clumps together?


 

Put it in the oil (using Canola here) on medium heat and spread it out with the bottom of the spoon into a sort of round shape.



I love this stuff.


Here's the eggy I was talking about.  On the left is the pancakes that I added more eggs and flour.  On the right is the first one I made.  You can see how it doesn't have as much volume to it.. like the edges are just fried potatoes.





The one without enough egg is on the left.  Some may like it like that... more potato-like.  The one on the right is more egg-like.


Eggy goodness


My tester



Someone is always underfoot.


Cautiously guarding his pancake.  I served with greek yogurt for dipping or traditionally it's served with applesauce.  Try both!


Made 12 extra pancakes.  Easy dinner... throw in the microwave or the toaster and insta-homemade-dinner.

1 comment: