Friday, October 1, 2010

PB & J Breakfast Cupcakes

Another awesome recipe from Weelicious.  I had a birthday playdate for Eamon today with all our friends and was looking for some alternative to the super sugary cupcake route.  I found these: Breakfast Cupcakes

In a nut shell, they are pancakes in a muffin form.  Have I mentioned I love muffins?  They're called PB & J because it has peanut butter in the batter to give it that extra protein bump.  I used Sunbutter (Sunflower seed butter) instead of the peanut butter because I had a mommy coming over that doesn't give her girls peanut butter just yet.  You could really taste the sunbutter in them!  Delicious.

For the "frosting" I used softened cream cheese with my homemade peach jam.  The "J" part of the "PB & J" is for jelly.  You can use whatever flavor you wanted.  The jam sweetened up the cream cheese PLENTY.  Plus there's only 2 tablespoons of sugar in the batter...  score!

The only problem I had was the muffin batter sticking to the muffin wrappers.  Next time I'll spray the wrapper.  Something else I usually do to baking recipes is switch half whole wheat flour for the white flour.  Weelicious usually does that too.  She didn't for this recipe because whole wheat makes baked goods more dense and these are supposed to be Pancake Cupcakes - the ultimate in light and fluffiness.  One reader suggested using whole wheat pastry flour to keep the texture light and airy while still adding some nutritional flour instead of The Dreaded Deadly White Flour.

I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of these... Doh!  I made about 6 regular sized muffins and about 6 mini muffins for the mini-people that were in attendance.  Next time I will double the recipe and free them for when Jack asks for a "pup-cake."  I will have no problem handing over one of these babies.... secret healthy food for kids  MWUAHAHAHAHAH


Here are the after effects from eating 1 big cupcake, 2 mini cupcakes (with extra frosting), and nibbling off everyone else's leftover cupcakes: One Happy Boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment