Monday, October 11, 2010

Chile Relleno Casserole

From Simply Recipes.   Made this last week to celebrate Matt getting his raise and FINALLY reaching the end of his "deadline."  That means Matt is home earlier than 9PM... yay!


So this thing is a mama jama of a meal.  Gives that chile relleno taste without frying, but it still is pretty heavy and a bit involved.  This would make an amazing brunch dish!  Which is exactly what I did with this last night.  I made it for Matt to take to a luncheon at work.  His coworkers love me.

Of course it wouldn't be a We Cook. recipe without us making a few changes, now would it?
  • First, I used some canned (gasp!) green chili enchilada sauce instead of the tomato sauce.  This gave it some serious chili flava.
  • Instead of chorizo I used sage pork sausage.  Goes really well with the oregano.
  • I saved some sauce to serve on top of each piece when served.

Roasted chiles and a Citrotini (towards the bottom of the page)

 

My chiles stuffed with the sausage, cheese, oregano mixture


Delicious cheesy eggy chile goodness


The second time I made this I decided to go more of the breakfast casserole route.  Instead of stuffing the chiles which is kind of tedious and careful - both of which are things that I despise - I just made layers.  
  • First the green chile sauce
  • Next the sausage
  • Chopped up green chiles
  • Crumbled cotija cheese
  • Pour in the eggs
  • Layer on the cheese
I hope Matt's coworkers like some spice in the morning.  You never know with poblanos... sometimes they're really hot, sometimes nothing.  Good luck.  Oh and drink milk if your mouth starts burning like mine did... works a lot better than just water.

**UPDATE**


Here's a picture of the revised casserole I made for Matt's work.  This was done without stuffing the chiles, just chopping them.

I like the way this looks even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment