Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My #1 Top Requested Recipe



Is for this beautiful looking savory pie.  Tomato Pie, to be exact, from Paula Deen.  I caculated the total calories for this once.  I will never do that again for a Paula Deen recipe. 

Here's what I do.  Usually, I only use cheddar cheese instead of both cheddar and mozzerella.  Then I only use 2/3 cup of everything instead of the full cup.  I've found that if you use the full 1 cup of everything (mayo, 2 cheeses) it gets EXTRA greasy, because the pie is already deliciously greasy.

  I've found that tomatoes on the vine are the tastiest.  I don't peel the tomatoes either.  You need the skins in there to slow you down while you're cutting it and eating it or else you'd scarf it at a dangerous pace.  I just cut them up into half moon shapes.  Squeeze all the tomato juice out of them and then lay them on paper towels or cloth and sprinkle salt. Let them sit for about 15 minutes.  Then pat them dry.  The hardest thing about this recipe is that you want the tomatoes to be as dry as possible otherwise the crust will get soggy.  And that's just a darn shame. 

I also HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest you use Duke's Mayo.  They even have a light version available and it didn't taste any different to me.  You think mayo brands are the same?  You haven't tried Duke's.  It's so good it'll make you "slap yo mama" as Paula Deen would say.  You know I had to throw that in somewhere, didn't you?

I serve this with a side salad.  2 of us can eat this whole thing, minus 1 piece for leftover lunch the next day.  Cut the pieces small if you're serving guests.  They will fight over it.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I have a few times thought about asking you for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A delightful dish!!! I use fresh basil whenever I have it. A hint to tomato pie bakers don't skip the draining part...very mushy.

    ReplyDelete